Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Iced creek

The ice was strong enough for geese to walk on, but succumbed when they landed with a 'whomp.'  But then it refroze. The mulch was very white with frost and of course the birdbath was frozen, but not the pool.  . 

The crows made it clear they had first dibs on any bird treats.  So I hung the suet so that it can only be reached from below.  The downy had no problem but a starling eyed me pitifully.  And I put the jelly on the table hoping that's too close to the house for a crow to be comfortable.  But I never saw an oriole.  Only the seed eaters were unfazed. 

White throats ignored it all.  The myrtle warblers seemed lost.  A nuthatch got a seed without a photo.  I spotted a red bellied woodpecker in the dogwood with a seed to hammer. 

Late in the day when the ice was gone two bufflehead drakes appeared.  A huge flock of cormorants floated on the lake.  A few shovelers mixed in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment