Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Very warm

What does it mean when the first day of the new year gets up to 70°?  Could it be climate change? Morning was quiet with only a few buffleheads out on the creek. I glimpsed a flock of hoodies right by the dock as I was hurrying to leave.  Later a half dozen mallards paddled around, accompanied by one female bufflehead.  The geese watched from a neighbor's yard.

Birds came after lunch.  White throats foraged, warblers tussled over the suet, female orioles gorged on jelly, and a red breasted nuthatch sampled suet but returned to the sunflower seeds.  Titmice and chickadees stuck to the seeds.  A titmouse cussed me out for sitting too close to the feeder. 

The clouds were spectacular all day until they merged into evening overcast.  Crows flocked to chase a hawk.  Turtles basked on a log on the lake.  I began to get chilly from the wind so I left the wildlife to their own pursuits. 


No comments:

Post a Comment