Thursday, December 19, 2019

Frigid

The creek was choppy at first light but it calmed under the sun.  The birdbath was solid ice so I poured hot water in and a couple of hours later it had frozen again.  Another thing that froze was my car battery, so I spent time I didn't have getting it replaced.

Nevertheless, I discovered that we have two song sparrows.  They don't seem to hang out together like the Carolina wrens or the cardinals so I didn't realize I was seeing different birds.  This morning one foraged in the mulch while another lurked under a chair.  I also saw at least one white throat.  Downy woodpeckers stuffed themselves on suet.

An egret huddled on the dam.  A great blue heron preened on the bank above the bulkhead. Pelicans patrolled the creek.   Crows behaved mysteriously, whispering together on the far bank.

Sunset was cloudless but the sky glowed with color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment