Friday, December 13, 2019

Rain

I left before dawn and got home well after dark. When I first left the house, the moon was visible behind clouds, but by the time I got into Norfolk, it was raining.  The whole day was dark and wet, but warmer.

In lieu of observation, here are two books.

Bird CountBird Count, a picture book for older children, recalled memories of the Christmas bird counts of my childhood.  My father led bird walks year around but never failed to lead a Christmas count.  Sometimes they were very cold and we certainly did not drive around like the people in the story.  But the birds were similar and fewer than those that spend the winter in Virginia. 

1001 Secrets Every Birder Should Know is a trivia compendium with snarky commentary.  Some of the secrets are about birds from other continents and some are sensationalized.  It focuses on bird behavior and clues from bird anatomy.  And various rumors and urban legends are smacked down. 





No comments:

Post a Comment