Monday, December 30, 2019

Surprising day

A heron was on the dock at breakfast, but cloud cover made it too dark for the camera.  
As I was planning to travel to Cape Charles on the Eastern Shore, I checked the weather prediction early in the morning.  But the day was much warmer and drier than forecast. It set a record: Norfolk had a high of 77° and Cape Charles of 76°. Plus, instead of the predicted thunderstorm, there was sunshine.  

I took my camera but mostly got photos of the sky.  On the way over I saw a half dozen dark birds floating next to one of the islands that anchor the CBBT tunnels.  They might have been coots.  Fog shrouded the last mile or so of the bridge and I saw some dark birds perched on the lights.  They were probably buzzards but might have been birds of prey.  

On the way back, around 3:30pm I saw a gannet plunge into the water.  Then a pelican flew past.  There were numerous great and lesser blackback gulls perched on lights and railings.  Herring or ring bill gulls floated in the air alongside the bridge. 

I got home in time to watch the sunset and see the crescent moon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment