Monday, March 30, 2020

Bugs

K saw a swarm of some kind of flying insect in front of the garage.  I missed that, but as I was cleaning out flower pots for transplanting, I apparently disturbed a tiny praying mantis.  It wasn't newly hatched because it was about a centimeter long. It climbed the porch pillar and disappeared.

Some fungus popped up in mulch in the front yard.  One looked like an orange bracket and the other a brown toadstool.  Petals from the witch hazel were everywhere like confetti, including in my hair I discovered later. I found a snail in one of the flowerpots. A beetle and many earwigs hid under the pots. A sapsucker attacked the pecan tree. 

In he back yard, bees enjoyed the money plant.  The female red bellied woodpecker helped herself to suet.  A bluebird used a dragonfly perch. 

I saw a female bufflehead on the creek.  Late in the day, a pine warbler got some suet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment