Thursday, March 19, 2020

Equinox?


Morning surely did look like Spring with rain-washed greens and a sky that cleared, then clouded up again around 8am.  The cat sat on the pool cover making the birds scarce.  Eventually, it moved on and the wren began to sing.  Downy woodpeckers decided the coast was clear. 

The afternoon shot from Spring to Summer. HOT! It got over 80°.  We went for a walk so I could take the pictures I missed yesterday.  Field pansies dotted the grass.  Lesser celandine invading the neighbor's yard looked lovely.  Redbuds were in their glory.  Chionodoxa, also invasive, had found space in several adjoining yards.  The original mixed them with grape hyacinths. 

I was a sweaty mess when we got back.  But that gave an excuse to spend a couple of hours cooling off on the back patio.  The gold oak blossoms against the intense blue sky were breath-taking.  Several butterflies crossed the yard but the only one I could identify was a cabbage white.  Paper wasps and carpenter bees examined every crevice. 

A blue jay and a red bellied woodpecker each tried to sneak past me to their respective treats, but I got them on "film." The downy woodpeckers ignored me and as a result feasted.  The myrtle warbler sulked.  White throats found interesting things in the leaf litter.  A male bluebird perched high in a front yard tree - so high I saw him from the back.  The song sparrow lurked in the sakaki.  A titmouse snatched a bark butter ball. 

Two skinks darted out from the pool cover, one apparently chasing the other.  I think someone was flying a drone, but the camera focused on the foreground.  
 
"Spring Equinox 2020 in Northern Hemisphere will be at 11:49 PM EDT." That's today by 11 minutes. I think that qualifies as tomorrow, given that each time zone is theoretically15 degrees/one hour* wide. *K corrected me. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment