Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Autumnal equinox

It was a gorgeous day, still a bit on the cool side, but a crystal blue sky full of sunshine.  The wind was down to a stiff breeze, but the tide still ran high.  The tail-less wren was up for breakfast. 

We went shopping at the garden center and came home with a purple celosia plant that had been covered with butterflies including a painted lady and several skippers.  The butterflies at home didn't react to it.  Oh well, it's pretty.  

There were butterflies at last.  A red spotted purple spent time on a daisy leaf.  Then it moved to the pool step and I thought I'd have to rescue it but it didn't fall in.  A sliver spotted skipper was interested in a rose.  A fiery skipper preferred the aster.  A monarch just kept going. 

Lots of young skinks scurried around.  I spotted one in the pool that had no tail.  It let me lift it out with no fuss.  The loss of its tail transformed its shape and may have made it harder to swim. 

A praying mantis lurked in the rue.  The usual insects sipped mountain mint.  A jumping spider was hanging out on the pool railing.  I admit I harassed it a little to see it jump.  I fished out a leaf that had an earwig drowning on it.  

The saltbush buds were about to open.  I believe we had a bald eagle fly-by.  


No comments:

Post a Comment