Sunday, September 20, 2020

Still blowing cold

The wind did do us the favor of clearing the high-level smoke haze.  It drove the tide over the dock and brought some threatening clouds that passed by harmlessly.  Why several buzzards were swooping low over the creek, I do not know. A mallard pair dropped into the pool but I sent them away.  Later I saw a mallard have difficulty getting out of the water onto the dock.


I put more bird food out thinking a wind from the NNE might be carrying birds South.  But all I saw were year-around locals, and not a lot of them.   A blue jay and a brown thrasher got away without a photo.  The Carolina wren pair visited the bark butter balls together.  One lost its tail, hopefully just molting.  The downy woodpecker pair defied the wind, but they don't fly very high. 


It was way too cold with that wind-chill to get wet, so I tried to clean out the wind-blown leaf litter with a net.  That enabled me to rescue a skink and several beetles.  I glimpsed a red spotted purple but it blew away before I could aim the camera.  A big dark insect landed on the water and then flew off.  I was thinking carpenter bee or even cicada, but the photo suggests a horsefly.

I went outside at just the right time to catch the new moon with enough illumination for the camera.  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment