Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Hints of Autumn

A male red bellied woodpecker did chin-ups for breakfast.  Then the bluebirds arrived, both looking a bit worn out from parenting.

I happened to look out a window mid morning, and there were geese pooping on the patio.  I hustled outside to run them off and surprised a juvenile night heron.  I don't know where it had been, but it flew up to the roof and I tried to get a picture but it flew away.  I found handkerchief spiderwebs in the grass, almost invisible without dew.

After lunch I went back out because I had a meeting later.  A very tattered skimmer clung to a bamboo perch.  The dogwoods were beginning to feel like Fall.  Blue jays were upset about something, screeching and carrying on.  I saw a black swallowtail, a tiger swallowtail, a monarch, and a sulphur, but only the black swallowtail lingered.


No comments:

Post a Comment