Friday, May 28, 2021

Dragonflies

Titmice breakfasted at the Sunflower Seed Cafe.  Brown thrashers wanted something meatier and found it in the suet cage.  It appeared to me that one was dropping morsels to the other.  Fat cumulus clouds blew in but just kept going.  

Big dragonflies zoomed past me heading into the South wind which lifted them over the house.  Great blue skimmers perched and let me get photographs.  

A magnolia jumping spider joined me as I shelled peas.  I got a better photo of the spider with the enlarged front legs.   I saw another ground crab spider - genus Xysticus is as close as I can get though I actually located matching photos.

Along with spiders and beetles, I rescued a big wasp that I think may have been a young cicada killer, but the ungrateful critter left without a photo.  A honeybee worked on the rue which might make for some strange tasting honey.  Then the first great golden digger wasp of the year showed up on the rue. 

A great egret fished under the bulkhead.  A yellow crowned night heron flew over my head.  Spittlebugs found the pink evening primrose.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment