Friday, May 7, 2021

Flies

The sun lit up birds on the suet at breakfast.  First a female bluebird had her fill.  Then a brown thrasher took a turn.  The bluebird pair came back for another helping.  Roses were fully open.  The pink evening primroses seemed to have multiplied overnight.  And hibiscus sprouts emerged.  So had just one milkweed plant. 

A bluetailed skink crossed the step and disappeared before I had the camera ready.  But the brown thrashers and bluebirds returned so I hadn't wasted the effort.  After lunch, I was finishing the newspaper when there was a gosling invasion.  After I met them on the West side they circled around to the East.  This time I remembered to hiss and they didn't come back.  

I saw a couple of ladybird beetles on violet leaves.  One was being harassed by a tiny, red long-legged fly, some Condylostylus species, I think.  I missed it but got a picture of a slightly larger green one.  I also got what I'm guessing was a small, black deer fly.  Then I found another narcissus bulb fly.  This one was actually laying eggs, I think.  I had thought that because it looked like a bee it was a bee fly, a parasite on bee larva, but I guess the mimicry is defensive. 

Meanwhile the sun was barely visible through a thick white overcast.  Crows were having a fit over a hawk I barely glimpsed in flight away from their racket.  

In the evening's poor light I believe I saw a white breasted nuthatch.  Cardinals were courting again.  A titmouse claimed some suet.  Brown thrashers were back for a bedtime snack.  After dark a light sprinkle finally fell.


No comments:

Post a Comment