Saturday, May 29, 2021

Real rain at last

I was busy in the morning and the rain began after lunch so I never got outside.  K said the temperature in the morning peaked at 85°, but it dropped to 65° during the afternoon.  In lulls between bands of rain, the birds rushed to the feeders.  I think the hummer feeder must have flooded because a female left after just a second. 

Downy and red bellied woodpeckers couldn't stay away from the suet.  I couldn't identify one soaking wet black bird.  Two white breasted nuthatches braved the rain for seeds and suet.  One tried to share with a downy but it didn't work out.  A sodden blue jay gleaned fragments on the ground below the sued cage.  The bluebirds and brown thrashers were the only birds that didn't look like they'd fallen into a bucket. 

The day was so dark that half of my pictures were blurs.  And the rain came from the North so the windows were wet.  




No comments:

Post a Comment