Thursday, May 20, 2021

Hot sun, cold water

The sky was thickly hazed and pale.  A pair of goldfinches came for a drink from the ant moat.  (An ant photobombed.)  A dark butterfly, possibly a dark morph tiger swallowtail, flitted around the cherry but later I saw a black swallowtail on the rue, so maybe not.  Also flitting about was that small, pale butterfly again.  I saw a red admiral as I was shelling peas.  

I saved one wasp and a dozen beetles from the water. They were all black ground beetles except for one spotless ladybird.  That finished the camera battery.  As I was coming up the steps to get a fresh battery, I surprised a blue tailed skink chasing a moth.  The skink reared up its full three inches but the moth escaped.  It would have made a wonderful photo.  

At supper, a squirrel nearly fell into the pool trying to get a drink.  Brown headed nuthatches made repeated visits to the seed feeder but they were too fast for me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment