Sunday, May 2, 2021

White sky

The temperature was back up in the 80s but the wind still blew the heat away.  The sun shone despite the thin cloud cover. I saw the first monarch butterfly of the year, but I didn't get a picture.  Of course there were cabbage whites flitting around as well.  The pileated woodpecker was back and this time I made a movie! 

I saw the pretty red and yellow paper wasp, Polistes exclamans.  It had hold of one of the first instar black swallowtail caterpillars.  Later I saw a darker wasp hunting caterpillars on the rue.  A ladybird beetle rafted on a dogwood leaf.  Probably the wind dumped them both in the water.  I got photos of a snout butterfly but they weren't very good. 

The Carolina wren was still playing hard-to-see.  The brown thrashers were coy too.  And even the blue jays seemed determined to frustrate me.  A broad-headed skink, Plestiodon laticep, moved too fast for me, but finally paused for one photo.  It had a fine, long tail that looked original.  


No comments:

Post a Comment