Friday, November 26, 2021

Leaf fall

There was rain overnight followed by a gray morning.  The overcast soon began to pull apart, but clouds hung around all day.  A squirrel in the hickory was nervously watching something, then the feral cat sauntered into my view.  I yelled at it to go away.  

I saw a pelican go by but it didn't return.  I'd seen one earlier in the week, but without camera evidence, I forgot.  A brown thrasher investigated the soggy barkbutter balls.  It was gone before the camera was ready.  Downy woodpeckers stuffed themselves on suet.  The scarred white throat was back.  The first bufflehead of the season, a female, paddled through the detritus on the creek. 

A gusty wind stripped leaves off the trees, tossing them up in the air and into the creek.  I found a seedling sunflower under the feeder.  It's probably doomed to be frozen or stepped on. Yellow jackets were at work on the camellia flowers.  One turtle enjoyed the sunshine despite the chilly air.  Eventually it was joined by another just as their log was becoming shaded. 

Toward dusk, the sky grew very picturesque as background for the cormorant commute home.  


No comments:

Post a Comment