Monday, April 18, 2022

Cold rain

During breakfast, the male pileated woodpecker worked on the remains of the most recent block of suet.   A brown thrasher decided to clean up below.  

The goose or swan decoy that's been meandering around the creek washed up in our saltbush.  

Since rain was forecast, I hustled outside with seeds to plant.  While doing so, I transplanted more coral lilies out of the french drain.  And I discovered a few fiddleheads on the Christmas fern that I had been afraid was dead.  .The canna sent up a leaf as well.  The rain began soon after I came in. 

At lunchtime, a yellow rumped warbler ate suet.  A bluebird perched above the barkbutter but left it alone.  Probably time to pitch it out.   A mockingbird felt the same or, at least, preferred suet.  The female pileated showed up during supper but there was no suet left and I was not going out in the rain to refill it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment