Saturday, April 16, 2022

First dragonfly

Despite the fact that the feeder perch would hold at least four of them, a chickadee and a nuthatch didn't feel like sharing.   A pair of goldfinches briefly checked on the seed feeder and decided to go elsewhere for breakfast.  I've noticed that they are more picky than other birds.  Starlings showed up for suet.   Blue jays were around but never out in the open. 

After lunch, I went outside to listen to the birds.  I had a hard time spotting the singers I could hear.  A wren buzzed, a red bellied woodpecker hammered and croaked, a mockingbird ran through his repertoire, others I couldn't identify.   I think the woodpecker was fussing because I was too close to the feeders for his comfort.  A brown headed cowbird male perched in the pecan, but I don't know if it sang. 

The dragonfly was about the size of a pennant, smaller than a skimmer, with unmarked wings and a dark body.  It was zigzagging on a gusty breeze and never perched, so no photo.  I also saw another big black beetle, another burrowing bee, and an earwig, I think, with a red head and pale thorax.  A tiny, white spider tried to get inside the camera.  

The azaleas were at their peak.  Money plants were already making seedpods.  Wood hyacinths and violets added blue and white to the pink azaleas and money plants.  One of the wood hyacinths came up pale pink.  The rue was beginning to flower as was one blue eyed grass plant.  Coral lilies started blooming a couple of weeks ago.  This week the Solomon's seal shot out of the ground and immediately started making flowers.

An egret sauntered past oysters at low tide.  The green between its beak and eye showed it was in the mood to breed.  A goose and a mallard drake were the only other water birds I saw.  A big fish jumped anyway.  I went back outside after dark because the temperature was so pleasant.  The moon and planets weren't visible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment