Saturday, April 9, 2022

House wren?

A little brown bird landed on the arm of a patio chair, but flew before I focused.  In the belief that it was a house wren, we got a birdhouse hung from a dogwood branch.  A brown thrasher also got away without contributing to my photo collection.  

The chilly breeze also brought bluebirds and blue jays, starlings, a Carolina wren, a pair of mockingbirds, downy woodpeckers, brown headed nuthatches, and chickadees to the feeders.  Warblers flitting through the wild cherry branches appeared to be feeding on something.  

The pair of pileated woodpeckers were still arguing about who got to eat suet first.  I saw no sign of romance, except that they spent so much time together.  At one point she extended her wings to flash the white patch. 

Buzzards soared and crows chased off something.  A small gull did some fancy flying.  An egret just coasted downstream.  One mallard drake was all I saw afloat but a big fish jumped three times like a dotted line.  I've no idea what it might have been fleeing. The overcast began to break up in the late afternoon.  I went down to the dock to pitch clam shells into the creek.  


No comments:

Post a Comment