Saturday, July 23, 2022

More dragonflies

I took some blue eyed grass seeds out to the front yard and it was like walking into a laundry, steamy with no breeze.  Speaking of laundry, the garage was more like an oven.  Then I decided I need more blueberries for the cobbler.  Fortunately they were in the shade but unfortunately there wasn't much more breeze.  My hair sweat till I got saltwater in my eyes.

Hummingbirds made frequent visits.  A snout butterfly discovered the mountain mint.  A lovely male Eastern pondhawk staked out a spot on the patio near the mountain mint.  I could not see what he was catching.  The bees and wasps ignored him.  There were several great golden digger wasps and some great black wasps.  A female slaty skimmer used the perch on the other side of the mountain mint and a female amberwing found the short stake that was supposed to hold the butterfly milkweed back from the steps.  I found a caterpillar on the bolted parsley.  

There was nothing to speak of in the pool except a spider and a few May beetles, and lots of wind-blown needles and other plant shreds.  When I got out, a  male slaty skimmer zipped past me leaving an impression like a huge black wasp.  I think it was using the perch further along the retaining wall.  High-flying twelve spotted skimmers not only chased bugs, they fought aerial duels amongst themselves.   Clouds frequently passed in front of the sun and some time after 5pm a really big, dark cloud streamed by overhead.  Finally, fat drops fell and I heeded their warning.  The thunder didn't start till I got to the garage, but by the time I had changed, the storm had become a gully-washer.  




No comments:

Post a Comment