Friday, July 1, 2022

Still hot

A squirrel got up early to burgle the seed feeder.  When the robbery failed, the rodent hung out on the perch, keeping the birds away.   Petty!  I wondered if it was the same squirrel that fell off the other day. 

I spotted a hummer at the little feeder but I was on the wrong side of the hibiscus.  She flew away over the house.  A wren perched in the chainlink fence.  A blue jay scolded me for picking blueberries. 

Once it starts blooming, the mountain mint attracts an amazing variety of wasps and bees.  Skippers and other small butterflies like it, but not larger butterflies like the tiger swallowtail that sailed across the end of the pool. But because the individual flowers are tiny, the insects keep moving and make focusing hard.  I chased an interesting bumblebee around the stalks.  A dragonfly zipped past me as I was getting in the water.  I thought it was a pondhawk but couldn't be sure.  I noticed the beautyberry started blooming. 





No comments:

Post a Comment