Tuesday, February 21, 2023

A day late

The pileated woodpecker that was missing throughout the GBBC returned today.  And I saw the first ruddy duck of the winter hanging out with a mallard and a grebe.  A couple of female hoodies paddled by. 

The dog put on a concert of growls and howls at nothing in particular.  The yellow rumped warbler exhausted itself chasing pine warblers, displaying its buttered butt, and trying to eat suet while hovering.  Must be something in the air, which rose over 70o!  

After lunch, I saw three female orioles, a red winged blackbird, juncos, a song and a white throated sparrow, bluebirds, and a blue jay.  

Later on the creek, an egret flew in.  Turtles soaked up the sun.  Pelicans passed and one landed to swallow a fish.  A couple of female buffleheads flew in.  The kingfisher was back on the bench but without a fish.  A great blue heron flew over and the kingfisher disappeared. 

I left for a meeting at sunset and got to see the new moon's crescent trailed by a bright planet.  I didn't have the camera with me but here is a diagram.  According to EarthSky, the planet must have been Venus, though Jupiter was supposed to be in the neighborhood.  I hope I can watch tomorrow when they should be even closer.  


No comments:

Post a Comment