Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Nuthatches

The day was hazy and hot - 73°.  Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter and this winter may break a record.  I was far too busy and only had a brief time in the late afternoon to see wildlife.  Driving home, I noticed the callery pear trees were blooming.  I wouldn't mind if a late frost blighted them. 

Bluebirds were still hungry.  White breasted and brown headed nuthatches visited the seed feeder in a steady stream.  They drove the boss butterbutt crazy.  Juncos foraged on the ground along with one white throated sparrow.  

A goldfinch tried to eat barkbutter dust but I think it had too much animal protein.  So the goldfinch tried the mountain mint seeds instead.  I don't think they were very satisfying.  I saw a red bellied woodpecker in the trees, and of course a downy on the suet.  

At sunset I went out front to look for the moon.  Because of the haze it wasn't as sharp and clear as last night but I did find both Venus and Jupiter.  


No comments:

Post a Comment