Sunday, February 19, 2023

Long GBBC watch

I spent a little time at breakfast, but the whole afternoon, 1-5pm, in Zoom meetings, mostly with the camera off and my back to the screen.  And I was rewarded!  But first, the morning.  A black cat I've never seen before limped through the yard.  The birds took to the trees,  I saw a myrtle warbler and a bluebird in the cherry.  Four or more crows were carrying on about something. 

When I went back to the computer, a great blue heron was standing on the neighbors' floating dock.  Turtles congregated on the fallen logs on the lake.  A couple of blue jays hopped around the redwood branches. and then I saw why.  A red tailed hawk was sitting in the hackberry.  The jays harassed it into crossing the creek. 

Later a few songbirds flitted around the trees: a myrtle warbler, two juncos, and a bluebird.  Meanwhile a kingfisher perched on a dock post.  A flock of about eight hoodies paddled upstream.  A pelican soared over the creek.  

The kingfisher moved to our dock to whack her fish on the back of the bench.  While she was busy with the fish, a myrtle warbler, a mockingbird, blue jays, and a bluebird perched in the trees.  I got a good photo of the kingfisher flying off.  Later she moved back to her observation post.  By then there were more clouds and less sunshine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment