Thursday, February 23, 2023

February scorcher!

I saw 81 on the thermometer and the National Weather Service claimed a record.  The Southwest wind kept the humidity low and raised worried about wildfire.  More hyacinths bloomed.  So did a leucojum - will I ever finish pulling them up?  The dog sniffed a squirrel and sent it up the oak.  Later he rolled over in the grass which I thought he'd gotten too old to manage.  A blue  jay scolded from the fence line. 

The wind may explain why pelicans came up the creek despite the warmth.   Next I spotted a ruddy duck, maybe the same one as a couple of days ago.  A hoodie drake paddled upstream and a female headed in the opposite direction.  The kingfisher was back.  I think I saw a muskrat or nutria leave a wake as it headed toward the dock across the creek.  The turtles were out enjoying the tropical day. 

A flock of small birds flew over the dam in the evening.  The leonine cat sprawled on the dock like a dead thing.  Then it lifted its head so that's one worry removed.  A mystery animal's wakes made strange patterns in the water. 


No comments:

Post a Comment