Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Butterfly and frog

Yesterday didn't happen - I didn't take a single photo.  Actually, The pool was being uncovered which scared off the wildlife.  Plus I was busy preparing to give my opinion to the school board.  I was busy today too, but the time I was able to spend in observation was rewarding.  Morning was lovely.  The creek glowed with reflected sunshine.  Bluebirds popped up soon after I filled the feeder dishes.  The female pileated woodpecker returned.  

A frog moved into the pool.  The yellow cat came by and noticed the frog, but of course there was all that water between them.  Later I startled the frog into a dive.  Up close, the water was dusty with pollen.  

While the frog hid, the butterfly caught my attention.  It was a tiger swallowtail trying to suck nourishment out of dead azalea flowers.  I don't know why it ignored the money plant and the irises.  A blue jay loitered in the trees.  The first daylily bloomed.  

As I ate lunch, a brown headed nuthatch drank from the ant moat.  The bluebirds were back.  A mockingbird demanded a share of the mealworms but there wasn't much left.  The pileated female wanted more suet.  Sunset was a brilliantly glowing haze without discrete clouds, just fingers of colored light reflected in the creek.  


No comments:

Post a Comment