Saturday, April 22, 2023

Earth Day

A different woodpecker showed up today - the male red belly came to feast on suet.  Bluebirds focused on the mealworms and barkbutter balls.  Of course the starlings had to crash the party.  A bigger surprise was the crow that gingerly balanced to extract a barkbutter ball.  

A blue jay was thirsty so I was glad I had added water to the birdbath.  A male goldfinch was also thirsty but would not descend to the birdbath.  He insisted on drinking from the ant moat though the water was algae soup and the level so low he almost fell in.  He walked all around the rim searching for a low spot.  I don't know if he ever got a drink. 

While it was not as hot as yesterday, the warmth brought out skinks.  One emerged from under the pool cover.  Being close to the ground they may not have noticed the wind, but it was very windy.  Tender new tree leaves got shredded and the detritus of flowering blew like snow. 

I accidentally took a picture of a bug on a coral lily.  It looked like a stinkbug nymph but I'm not certain.  On purpose, I took pictures of a yellow jacket queen. 

The high winds were followed by thunderstorms.  NWS Wakefield was threatening tornadoes and hail.  I hope enough rain fell to catch us up because it has been a very dry April. 


No comments:

Post a Comment