Friday, May 12, 2023

Dragonfly!

Bluebirds worked in shifts to carry off the freeze-dried mealworms and barkbutter balls.  The pileated woodpecker ate more suet.  Brown headed nuthatches carried away sunflower seeds.  A mockingbird has strong opinions about something.  A pine warbler answered the lure of the barkbutter. 

Toward mid day I started seeing a dragonfly patrolling the air above the pool.  The body appeared reddish but the camera only caught an orange blur.  My guess is Needham's skimmer.  It drove off another dragonfly that I glimpsed in even less detail.  The dragonfly never perched but a jumping spider posed on the chrome railing.  A brown skipper landed on a daffodil leaf.  I rescued some wasps and bees and a ladybird beetle from the pool. 

Of all the seeds I planted this year, the first to show up was a yellow coreopsis.  The butterfly milkweed emerged from the mass of mountain mint.  Wind gusts ripped young leaves off the trees. 


No comments:

Post a Comment