Thursday, May 18, 2023

More food!

We were late getting the suet replaced and both pileated woodpeckers came to share their distress.  The female found dried crumbs where I dumped the soggy barkbutter balls yesterday.  The male decided he was entitled to some crumbs as well.  

A mockingbird was holding out for fresh barkbutter balls.  A blue jay surveyed the aforementioned dried crumbs and gave me a puppydog look.  Another blue jay joined the crumb pecking.  At lunch, a little skink ventured out to soak up some sun.  

Later, the dog and I went out front for a while.  I wanted to watch the bluebird house.  Unfortunately, there was mowing next door.  The bluebirds were unwilling to come to the nest, whether because of me, the dog, or the mower, I don't know.  They perched in the pecan tree with beaks full of food for their offspring.  

When we finally got the suet replaced, the woodpeckers came back.  Then a pine warbler swooped in to have some suet too.  A blue jay insisted on barkbutter balls.  


No comments:

Post a Comment