Monday, May 29, 2023

Warm with wasps

At last a seasonable day!  A mockingbird wasted no time in getting to the barkbutter balls.  Bluebirds were right behind.  The blue jays took longer. 

Something drew crows to the redwood.  A mockingbird investigated.  I couldn't tell if the mockingbird was trying to drive off the crows or shared their concern.  I finally caught a mockingbird flashing, at the birdbath.  Three downy woodpeckers landed on the post together but only one landed on the suet cage. 

There was more sun than predicted and the temperature got into the upper 70s, but mainly that icy Northeast wind paused for the day.  So I ventured into the 68° water.  Afterward as I drip-dried, I watched the wasps on the rue.  Both mud and paper species  were feasting on the flowers.  One wasp I had never seen before.  It had distinctive, long, orange antennae which helped with identification as an Entypus wasp, a spider hunter.  And under another rue flower a very small spider was lurking. I also saw a small, pale butterfly I'm guessing was a Spring azure.  

At twilight, a bird perched at the top of the pine, then swooped out to hover in mid air, catching bugs I assume.  


No comments:

Post a Comment