Monday, August 26, 2013

Another beautiful day

Sunny, but neither sticky nor scorching. But not much to photograph.  The creek looked placid despite the light breeze.   I had my coffee outside and finches came anyway.  So did squirrels, but they were very twitchy.  A Carolina wren and a hummer also ignored me.  Bees and wasps and the hummer sipped rosemary flowers.  Other birds chirped and insects buzzed.  The cicadas are quite distinct form the crickets. 

A nuthatch showed up after lunch.  The same butterflies - hairstreak, purple, tiger - and some dragonflies zipped around.  In the late afternoon, swifts circled overhead so high I thought they were just the spots in my eyes.  But I could hear their calls very clearly despite the distance.  The hummer feeds right on into twilight. It is mosquito-ee this evening, maybe because there's less wind? A great blue heron landed on the dock and I heard a kingfisher call.

No comments:

Post a Comment