Friday, August 9, 2013

Windy

Clouds are flying out of the West.  The wind seems to be discouraging activity.  I saw a heron fly downstream, with the wind.

At lunchtime it got more lively.  I saw my first ever brown-headed nuthatch, though all the pictures are blurry.  Titmice joined cardinals and chickadees at the feeder.  Some of the cardinals are molting badly.  Sulphurs, black swallowtails, and a little orange butterfly ignored the wind gusts, as did a few dragonflies.  The tree trimming is finished and they look awful, for now. 

I rescued a caterpillar from the pool that turns out to be a pest of azaleas: Datana major.  It is certainly striking, but the moth is apparently a dull brown. Finches finally appeared and the nuthatch returned.  I originally saw it yesterday but not to recognize. 

There was a colorful, streaky sunset this evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment