Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Tired of rain

Sunlight leaked in at dawn, but not for long.  Doves, two nuthatches, titmice, Carolina wrens, and a hummer joined the regular trio this morning before a light rain started.  At least four squirrels galloped around and messed with both feeders. White spot has figured out how to tip the hummer feeder away in order to get at the juice. Smart! 

More rain sprinkles and intermittent sun at lunch.  A skinklet ventured out.  Sulphur butterflies and a palemedes swallowtail flitted through.  A slaty skimmer took up watch on one of my dragonfly perches.  Swifts soared against the dark clouds.  And the hummers continued to challenge each other.

When I looked at the photo, I was surprised by a fierce face on the palamedes swallowtail.  I think it may only be apparent when the butterfly is in motion.  It makes me think owl which would scare many birds off.  Now is it my imagination or is it a genuine evolved protection?

I'm cleaning the hummer feeder even though the hummer wasn't rejecting it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment