Monday, August 5, 2013

Cool!

Just 65 degrees this morning.  Windows open in August!  Cardinals and finches are enjoying it.  Chickadees finally got up.  A hummer flitted all around the feeder but didn't feed - time to change it?  A jumping spider hiked across the window.  And an osprey landed briefly in the pines across the creek.

A tiny skink crossed the steps at lunch and a full grown one mid-afternoon. A black swallowtail left eggs on the rue and a little pearl crescent butterfly fed on the rosemary.  I cleaned the hummer feeder and refilled it.

I've identified a new insect, a broad-headed sharpshooter.  I've seen them before and just said "leafhopper" in my head, but I wanted to label the photo better than that.  Apparently "sharpshooters" are cousins of leafhoppers and cicadas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment