Monday, June 1, 2015

A day in June

Today seemed to fit Lowell's poem.  The brown thrasher was up hunting breakfast. At lunch, I saw an egret under the bulkhead and a dragonfly obelisking on one of my perches.  The wrens stayed busy.

I spent the afternoon outside and was greatly entertained.  I rescued spiders and beetles, including an orange ladybug, from the water.  A little green heron flew downstream.  A deer fly landed on me and I whacked it but I don't know if I got it.  At least I didn't see it again.

A female cardinal discovered that the basket where we dump the pool skimmings was full of bugs.  The rue was full of wasps, paper, mason, thread-waisted, and others.  I glimpsed a big brown butterfly and a cabbage white.  Doves hung out by the fence.  A pair of geese brought their three goslings to eat our grass. The brown thrasher carried off something white and hunted bugs to bring back.  A titmouse preened in the neighbor's birch. Swallows appeared around 6pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment