Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Overnight rain

It was not enough to fill the birdbath and it did not reduce the humidity.  But the birds slept in and no one visited the feeders at breakfast.  I saw an egret fly over. A bumblebee loaded up on pollen at the nandina flowers.  Though the sky was hazy and clouds blew East, the sun shone all day.  The gusty wind cleared out the leaves that died a week ago when there was no rain. 

At lunch a Carolina wren visited.  While in the pool I was entertained by a singing towhee.  Usually I only hear their call.  Blue jays also escaped the camera.  I need to try the underwater camera.  Even though some chickadees are now feeding themselves, they still make "feed me" cries.  I guess that will take time to wear off.  Titmice and cardinals were wary about the feeder with me sitting so close.  I saw the house wren removing poop sacks, but the camera missed.

Lots of dragonflies hunted through the day.  There were big darners, a dragonfly with a dusty blue abdomen, another with yellow rings around the abdomen, and finally a yellow-sided skimmer that perched.  The little spider and its web had disappeared from the pool.  I rescued some beetles and spiders.  Lots of wasps visited the rue, paper wasps, thread-waisted wasps, mason wasps, and yellow jackets. 

Serious clouds appeared in the late afternoon and rain finally arrived at sunset. 


No comments:

Post a Comment