Saturday, August 8, 2015

Rain

I was gone from breakfast to mid afternoon.  Heavy dark clouds spilled plenty of rain, then the wind got very gusty.  Surfaces were beginning to dry and there were moments of sun after I got home.  Birds were apparently starved because they came despite the wind.  I saw one determined dragonfly and some swallowtails, both black and tiger, but none of them paused for a photo.

Blue jays cruised from tree to tree across the back yard.  Fledgling robins lurked in the cherry. Three mockingbirds poked through the mulch - I think two were fledglings.  Titmice joined the feeder crowd, as did a goldfinch briefly.  The hummers found the feeder pole too congested and watched from the dogwood.  I glimpsed a great crested flycatcher and possibly a brown thrasher. A lot of the birds were molting as well as damp. 

K went to pick figs but most were rain-swollen and spoiled.  And by evening the clouds had mostly blown away. 


No comments:

Post a Comment