Saturday, August 1, 2015

Sunny start to August

Wrens showed up but were too fast for me.  The same was true of a brown thrasher.  The regulars ruled the feeder.  A great blue heron stood briefly on the back of the dock bench. 

I saw a flicker under the cherry but it got away.  Wrens scolded and one Carolina wren walked up the oak trunk while I was in the pool.  A female cardinal hunted for something in the grass.  The hummers were very possessive.  One actually chased a skinklet! 

Dragonflies included a common whitetail female, an amberwing female, and a blue dasher male.  Swallowtails and other butterflies were too fast.  Ants were still farming aphids on the sunflower.  A fox cub looked at me from about 8 feet (upwind) but dashed off when I moved the camera.  Later I saw it and another in the neighbors' yard. 

The afternoon sky was full of big clouds but they moved on without precipitation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment