Thursday, September 10, 2015

Gray sky cleared

At least the windows were not fogged at breakfast.  The regulars, a titmouse, and the hummers were hungry.  A squirrel went by with a large raw area on its right side between front and rear leg.  I suspect it was bitten by a warble fly and then scratched.  Another squirrel carried a large green pecan off, the second I've seen this week doing that.  A gleam of sun came through around 9am but it didn't last.

By lunch the clouds had lumped up and  the sun was bright.  A very tiny skink tagged its tail across the patio.  A female goldfinch watched from the cherry.  A pair of doves poked through the mulch.

I rescued two blue tailed skinks from the water and K saved another.  I also fished out a lacewing and a cicada, but it seemed dead or dying.  A fresh mushroom popped up under the oak.  A spindly legged true bug was waiting for me on the glass door.  A hummer watched the feeder from the dogwood, when not drinking.  The other birds were more wary. 

Fluffy cumulus clouds flowed East on a gusty wind while higher, thinner clouds moved more slowly.  Just about the time the sky was clear, the sun disappeared behind a low bank of cloud on the Western horizon.  That was around 6:30pm.  At 7:30 the cloud wall hit and the power went down and up twice.  So I shut down the computer and found myself in pitch darkness except for lightning.  I just made it out to close the feeder when the rain began to hammer.   The whole storm lasted about 20 minutes then grumbled away East.




No comments:

Post a Comment