Monday, June 6, 2016

Sunny morning

The storm passed before morning, leaving a lot of water.  K rehung the hummer feeder, this time with a wad of dryer lint to block the ants.  Speaking of which, a large black ant bit me on the foot as I was eating breakfast.  Finches and cardinals were all the birds I saw.

Clouds muted the sun while I was in the pool but the sky cleared by 11am.  I could hear birds but couldn't find them.  I did find another snail floating in the water.  Also beetles.  Wasps favored the rue while bees went for the lavender. A parade of dragonflies circled the house, widdershins.  An amberwing perched in the grass.  A great blue skimmer liked the bamboo garden stakes.  But most of the dragonflies never paused.  I think there were darners in the mix, or something large. A male bar winged skimmer perched on the gardenia outside the window and a female found a stake.

At lunch, a hummer came to the feeder but she had a bit of something dangling from her beak - lichen and spiderweb nesting material?  Then the downy showed up.  A male goldfinch drank from the hummer feeder well.  Then a white breasted nuthatch appeared and alternated with chickadees.  One chickadee tried the hummer feeder and the mealworms and then poked head into the birdhouse.  I'm a little concerned about the wrens since there's been no activity.  A male towhee hid in the cherry.  More dragonflies perched around the yard or zoomed past. 

When I got home, the sky was clouded over and it was hot and sticky.  I took a photo of the hackberry berries and looked it up, and lo, I believe it is a sugarberry tree.  A couple of squirrels cavorted in the redwood.  Then two yellow crowned night herons burst out of the marsh and flew upstream.  At supper the sky looked very stormy.  Fireflies were out again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment