Friday, August 19, 2016

Flying kites

This morning, the morning glories joined the hibiscus for a red and blue explosion.  But I was rushing to get ready for an expedition to Thoroughgood.  There we looked for the Mississippi kite family that nested in the pines.  And we dripped with sweat in the humid heat with barely a breath of air movement.  Dragonflies followed a woman who was mowing.  And we did see a couple of kites far off.

When we got back to the house, we startled a little green heron on the dock.  I discovered more argiopes in the spartina.  I don't think the larger one was the same I saw before though.  A black swallowtail was frantically egging the rue.  A cloudless sulphur flitted overhead.  Hummers continued their territorial dispute.

At lunchtime a female goldfinch and a couple of titmice appeared.  Then I noticed something on the pool ladder.  It turned out to be the bullfrog.  And a cicada hauled itself out of the water next to it.  Just as we were finishing lunch, rain began.  It soon filled the birdbath.  I was going to venture out anyway, but then I heard thunder.  Waves of rain came through, sometimes pounding the pavement.  In between, the hummers tried to grab a little more energy drink. I saw a wren disappear into the brush. 

The rain didn't stop till early evening and the clouds continued to menace after that.  By sunset, the West must have cleared because gold light filtered through the trees.  Cardinals grabbed a snack but a hummer turned up its beak at its feeder.  No wonder, the rain had flooded it.  A small insect perched on the mealworm hanger and darted out at gnats just like a dragonfly, but it was too small to be a dragonfly.  It turned out to be a robber fly.  I didn't know they hunted like that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment