Saturday, August 27, 2016

Sunny

I spent too much of the day in a meeting.  During a late lunch afterwards, I saw an osprey circling.  I haven't seen much of ospreys this year, maybe because the trees are higher.  A female goldfinch make a quick trip to the feeder.  The hummer guzzled its energy drink like it was perishing of thirst.  All the usual butterflies flitted everywhere.  A couple of slaty skimmer dragonflies battled over use of a perch.  A skink darted along the edge of the pool. 

It was pretty late when I finally got outside and I did not feel hot.  The water, however, did.  I saw a titmouse and maybe a nuthatch.  The hummer had a standoff with a finch.  This was before the hummer drank the last drop from its feeder.  Big bumblebees were at work on the rosemary.  I only saw small caterpillars on the rue.  The monarch caterpillars stripped the milkweed of leaves and one began eating the stem.  And something gnawed off the sunflower stalk.


No comments:

Post a Comment