Thursday, August 4, 2016

Windy

The humidity was back but the breeze compensated.  Gusts grounded butterflies at times, but not the tiger swallowtail.   I only saw a few dragonflies, including a four spotted pennant.  A black and yellow mud dauber wasp found something interesting on a sunflower leaf.  The argiope had breakfast wrapped up.  In the pool, I saved some beetles, a spider, and a wasp, and noticed a snail.  Skinks were cautious but I did see more than one. 

Snowy egrets continued to hang around the dam outfall where I could see the lake water is still running out.  Great egrets were there too, but they are always there.  The night heron was back, hunting along the edge of the spartina. 

A titmouse showed up without its tail.  Blue jays were everywhere, but generally screened by branches. Fledgling cardinals were ubiquitous as well.  I think one is male and the other female.  The hummer was happy with its juice but not with the seed feeder birds, especially with the chickadee that drank from the hummer feeder ant moat.  I dumped the mealworm soup and added fresh, but I'm not sure the wren approved.  Robins were in the cherry again.  While I was in the pool, I saw a goldfinch and a mockingbird investigated me. 

When we got home, the lantana was loaded with fiery skippers.  I saw a cicada cast shell on the driveway which was an odd place.  A dragonfly buzzed around but I couldn't be sure what it was.  Shortly thereafter a Cooper's hawk buzzed the seed feeder but the birds had already scattered. At supper, there were three fledgling cardinals, two appeared female and one was much redder.  Three male goldfinches pursued a female around the yard.  But I'd left the camera in the other room. 


No comments:

Post a Comment