Saturday, August 13, 2016

Sweltering

At breakfast I noticed a spiderweb glittering in the low-angle sunlight.  Then I was away all morning.  When I looked at the car temperature it was 107°F. 

A male goldfinch came for a drink from the hummer feeder at lunch.  There was a hummer chase, but most of the birds must have been too hot to eat.  Butterflies were out, however.  I saw a cloudless sulphur, an orange sulphur, a black swallowtail, and a buckeye.  I could not locate the argiope down in the spartina, but I did see a four spotted pennant obelisking in the heat.

We picked figs in the late afternoon, competing with wasps, honeybees, and flies.  A yellow dragonfly patrolled over the garden bench but that didn't help us.  After that, I finally got into the water where I rescued a couple of bees I suspect had had too much fig juice.  The rosemary began blooming again recently and that too attracted bees.  Hummers fought over their feeder at supper.  I startled a night heron on the dock. 


No comments:

Post a Comment