Thursday, September 29, 2016

Rainy

The windows were fogged with condensation that eventually vaporized in weak sunlight.  The creek was placid at breakfast, only disturbed by a convoy of geese.   A pair of squirrels cavorted in the cherry.  A snowy and a great egret were joined by a great blue heron at the dam outfall but high tide covered the rocks.  A grackle poked around the cedar.  A female red bellied woodpecker landed in the cherry but didn't stay. 

Rain fell in the mid morning but ceased around 11am, so I did some pool cleaning and caught a female green frog.  In identifying it, I learned a new word: ecotone.  I was aware of the vitality of boundaries between habitats, but didn't know there was a word for it. 

I saw blue jays and a brown thrasher.  A Carolina wren teased me and I think I glimpsed the vireo.  Titmice joined the feeder regulars.  Fledgling cardinals were everywhere.  An osprey swooped low over the creek but there were too many leaves in the way for a photo.  Bees were the only insects I saw outside of some beetles in the water.  A huge green June beetle was riding a twig.  It rained off and on all afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment