Saturday, September 10, 2016

White sky

There was sunshine despite the clouds.  A breeze did not alleviate the heat and humidity.  At least three titmice contended with the usual suspects in order to get seeds.  The hummers had drunk their feeder dry so K swapped it with fresh.  That was the last of a pint batch so I made another.  One hummer chased off another then took up a sentry post in the dogwood.  A cloudless sulphur, a monarch, and a black swallowtail  passed through swiftly.

I saw a flicker in the grass below the redwood, but the camera was in the other room.  Then something startled a squirrel so I peeked further around the office window and there was a pileated woodpecker working on the spindliest pine.  That did it.  I went for the camera and got off one shot when the battery gave up.  So I went back to swap batteries and was rewarded with a white breasted nuthatch.

Back at the office window I saw blue jays, a mockingbird, the flicker again, and a least flycatcher (I think).  A couple of downys showed up to round out the woodpecker family.  The downys, the pileated, and the flicker were all male.  But I have no idea what attracted them all at the same time. Snowy egrets persisted in poking around the rocks at the dam outfall.  At lunch a couple of hummers stared at each other from inches away on a cherry twig, till one gave up. 

A blue dasher and an amberwing hunted around the patio.  I saw what may have been a giant swallowtail, but may have been only a palamedes.  Honeybees joined the bumblebees on the rosemary.  I found yet another drowned skink.  I did glimpse a live one earlier.  The sky in the late afternoon had a fish scale look.  A hummer muttered to itself about whether we were safe to feed around.  A yellow crowned night heron prowled along the spartina and I think it caught something.


No comments:

Post a Comment