Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Frigid

I got up late. Cormorants were driving fish up the creek while pelicans and gulls battled the wind to follow.  The birdbath was solid ice, so I poured in hot water.  That froze again while I was eating breakfast.  K had dumped the ice from the mealworm dish and put out fresh food.  Eventually a flock of white throats, two wrens, two doves, the downy pair, and a couple of yellow rumped warblers came for food.  One warbler ran the other off.  The woodpeckers didn't get along either. 

An osprey circled briefly over the creek.  A couple of ruddy ducks floated on the water.  A bit later I spotted a male wood duck.  I've seen more of them this year than in my entire life to date.

The butterbutt was in a bullying mood and repeatedly chased birds I was about to photograph.  A titmouse wasn't having any of that and stood its ground on the suet cage.  Then a small flock of robins arrived, eager for the water that had finally melted in the birdbath.  A female junco foraged on the patio.  A blue jay cleaned out the mealworm dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment