Thursday, March 30, 2017

Garden shopping

The day began sunny.  The red bellied woodpeckers did not agree on when it was her turn on the suet.  White throated sparrows foraged under the feeders and added mealworms to their diet.   The house finches looked very spiffy on the feeder.  Then I left. 

At lunch, downy woodpeckers were working on the suet which was disappearing fast.  In the afternoon, I saw wood ducks and shovelers on the lake, and buffleheads on the creek.  By then the sky had gone gray. 

When I went to McDonald's it was overcast and misting a bit and the breeze chilled.  As I thought, I did not have to contend with many other shoppers.  Since the fancy, new petunia cultivar I got there last year survived the winter, I got another, red this time.  The other was purple.  I bought what claimed to be a red ice plant.  The purple one I got many years ago, I cloned all over the front and back mulch beds.  But it finally died out.  I also got seeds and bulbs.  I did not find either chionodoxa or fuchsia. which were what I really wanted.  But they had amazing hanging baskets of nepenthes pitcher plants.

 I put the two plants on the front patio to get acclimated.  Then I had to peek in the old petunia pot and, sure enough, a wren whizzed out.  I hung two lovely birdhouses, just the right size, but no, the wren nested in the petunia.  When I came in, a downy woodpecker was hiding behind the post.  Later a male pine warbler appeared, and still later a mourning dove.  Down by the dam outfall, a great blue heron wrestled with something. 


No comments:

Post a Comment