Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Spring

The sky was overcast and the light poor at breakfast.  The male red bellied woodpecker traded with the female for time on the suet.  Still, a nuthatch slipped in and got some suet.  White throats were everywhere, as usual.   The clouds broke up by the time I was leaving and cleared off before I returned home.

At lunch time the red bellies were still working on the suet.  When K scared them off by coming outside, a pine warbler got to eat some too.  The temperature hovered just under 70, but a breeze felt chilly despite the warm sun.

After lunch I went looking for a place to put the new birdhouse.  A butterbutt followed me around.  The first branch I tried flung the house down the hill.  I fetched it back but decided to wait to hang the house.  Downy woodpeckers took over the suet.  Crows executed aerial maneuvers. 

A couple of egrets perched on the snags by the lake.  Buffleheads paddled and dived on the creek.  Then I had to leave for the evening meeting.  Wispy clouds were beginning to gather. 


No comments:

Post a Comment