Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Rain turned to sun

It was wet when I got up, but not wet enough to put any noticeable amount in the birdbath.  Dark clouds were streaking West to East under an overcast sky.  I heard birdsong and a woodpecker drumming for love as I went to get the newspaper. The light was poor and I had to struggle with the camera.  A Carolina wren, sparrows, a nuthatch, a warbler, and a titmouse came for breakfast.  A pelican flew up the creek.  Rain started around 9am and the temperature dropped somewhat.  A yellow stain indicated that the rain washed some pollen down. Pink maple catkins looking like caterpillars landed all over. 

Two yellow rumped warblers finally agreed to a truce and both had suet.  A white throat took a shower under the waterfall the rain made on the roof.  I glimpsed a robin through the shrubbery.  A bufflehead and later a male hoodie fished below the dam. I caught a brown thrasher on the fence as the sky lightened.  An eagle whooshed over the creek at lunch.  And as K was loading the car, a Carolina wren ventured into the garage.  The sky cleared to blue over the course of the day.  I saw the waxing moon and bright planets after dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment